What an event! Apple packs loads of new products and hides numerous highlights in a single hour. The new iPad Pro 2021 doesn’t delight me that much, because there were other, “real” highlights for me. Which are these? Come on, I’ll tell you.
The new iPad Pro may well be the best iPad ever. But there were no real surprises apart from the previously suspected features. Whereby … “Center Stage” for the front camera seems to be exciting. The webcam “zooms and pans” automatically, so people are always in focus. Exactly the right feature in times of dominant video conferencing. But now to my highlights of the Apple event in April 2021. Incidentally, a claim to completeness is neither intended nor fulfilled.
My 6 highlights: Apple event apart from the iPad Pro 2021
Webcam and microphone setup of the new iMac: Yes, Apple is finally listening to its users and has given the new all-in-one computer a full HD webcam that can do more than just send high resolutions through the network. Perfect illumination in connection with a microphone set up in studio quality. It’s THE Mac for the home office and the perfect video conferencing solution – thanks Apple.
- MagSafe for the Mac is back: Even before the new MacBooks, which are expected in the next few months, Apple treats us to a magnetic charging cable and an external power supply unit. Will Apple do this for the new mobile computers in the same way? Quite possible.
- Touch ID for the iMac: It costs extra, but at least two Magic Keyboards with Touch ID are now available as an option. This means that the security feature is finally available for a desktop computer – five years after the first MacBook Pro with Touch ID.
- airbags: Finally the key finders are also available from Apple. I thought: Oh no, another me-too product with the Apple logo. But then I saw the real benefit in the interaction with the U1 chips on the iPhones. Exact directions when searching … a wonderful “game-changer”.
Hey Apple, a big plus for the presentation
That’s my first impression in a nutshell. Of course, there are still a lot of unanswered questions, for example:
- Where’s the new 27-inch iMac?
- When are the other iPads coming?
- Why only an M1 in the iMac, why not an even faster Apple chip?
Incidentally, once again I find the new ” Corona format” of the product presentation to be positive.